Sunday, July 6, 2008

I *Can't* Relate To That

I was sitting in Sunday School today when a mother shared her concerns, and a prayer request, for her son in boot camp. The class's teacher, a man, did a good job of empathizing and then assuring her that her son would be OK. I wasn't ready for what happened next, although there really was no surprise. The teacher commented that being a mother, her concern for her son was understandable. The whole class verbally agreed.

It was then that I knew I was in a room full of people with whom I shared an entirely different experience of "family". It was a type of loneliness I've never felt before. In the same way their experience was so foreign to me, so mine would be to them. In "Birth of A Self in Adulthood", there is a chapter where McArthur describes reinitiating or maintaining a relationship with what she calls an "enmeshed parent". I've not researched McArthur's background, but I'd guess the parents she describes in the book are not like hers. She states it's natural for adult children of "enmeshed parents" to desire a relationship with the parent(s). Where I think McArthur misses the boat is the belief that such a relationship can exist with the enmeshed parent. Where a relationship is one-way and is based primarily on a shared dysfunctional history, learning techniques may allow these adult children to manage some sort of what McArthur herself describes as a superficial relationship. Every time I consider this, I can't escape coming back to the same question: why bother putting so much effort into pursuing a superficial relationship with a person simply because they were one's parent?

1 comment:

Jeannette Altes said...

Very good question. I haven't reached clarity on this for myself yet, either. ;-)