Thursday, December 18, 2008

In Praise of OJ Simpson

The temptation to call this entry "The Left-Handed Benefit of OJ Simpson" left quickly when I remembered my militantly left-handed grandmother. But, that's fodder for another post.

I received a great benefit from the trials and tribulations of OJ Simpson, especially the recordings of him in his more, uh, candid moments. You see, all the yelling, screaming, swearing and sounds of stuff being tossed about seem normal to me. When I listen to the recordings, my first reaction is, "yeah, and?". It strikes me that I see very few other people reacting in the same way. This confuses me. It also gives me pause because I've learned my gut, which in this case tells me to trust other people's reaction. So OJ's rantings are unusual? They've crossed some line? OJ repeatedly screaming obscenities out his car window at the prosecutor's house isn't just something people do?

Even contemplating these last phrases seem silly. Surely his behaviour (apart from accusations of burglary, etc.) isn't that out of line. He was angry and that's what people do when they're angry, right?

I have no idea where it comes from, but my ability to doubt what I know I've heard and seen is amazing. Perhaps I misunderstood people's comments. Perhaps OJ was just angry.

No comments: