Friday, June 27, 2008

Letters From Home

I have no idea who kept them or how they survived so long, but a few days ago I found letters that my mother sent to me while I was at summer camp. They were filed away in a folder labeled "Personal Papers". Oh, the irony.

It's only now that I have some inkling why my counselor and the other campers found them so weird. You see, they were typed: the addresses on the envelope, the letter itself, everything. On some even the "signature" was typewritten. Perhaps that wouldn't be so strange now, but these letters are from a time long before the advent of the personal computer. They weren't just typed, either, on the trusty old mechanical typewriter in the closet -- you know, the one with a tendency to drop an occasional 'e'? These letters were quite obviously typed on good quality, white typewriter paper on a professional electric typewriter and mailed in a standard #10 white envelope. Picture a legal document, block paragraphs, complete with the initials of the person who typed the document in lower case, followed by a colon, and then the initials of the author in upper case.

The letters themselves tersely detailed my parents' activities. There was the obligatory sentence about hoping I was enjoying myself. Thankfully, at the time, I didn't see at the time just how completely impersonal they were. They were definitely odd, and not in a cute way.

It's times like these that I still wonder about people who watched this bizarre family. I suppose it would be very difficult for anyone on the outside to know just how odd our lives really were. And, let's face it, weird letters from home while at summer camp don't a problem make.

No comments: