Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Tale of Two Deaths

It's an odd thing, the difference between how I felt when my n father died and when my father-in-law died. Neither man professed any real interested in their Creator, although my father often cursed God. I was there when both died, both of cancers.

My father-in-law died, with all his children, his adult grandchildren, and the spouses there. Out of town family members had stayed in contact daily with local family and drove through the night to be with him before he died. It wasn't a conflict-free time, but we all made our way through it, still caring for one another.

While sitting at the foot of my father-in-laws bed, listening to him struggle to breathe, I felt an amazing *need* to pray. It's not something I can easily describe. It was a deep, urgent, feeling that I must pray. So I did. I prayed in a way that day, pleading and praising like I never had before, or since. I could feel an amazing spiritual battle happening around me, but I had no idea how or why. It was only months later that I was told a family member there, who was taking a lead role in caring for my father-in-law, had been studying and practicing shamanic rituals. She'd been working with my father-in-law with special stones and other objects. I believe this was the reason my spirit felt so burdened to pray.

When he died, I was sitting next to his bed, holding his and my mother-in-law's hands, listening to her share loving family memories.

When my father died, my mother and I were there: she asleep after exhausting herself attempting to meet the demands of my n father, I by his bedside. I advocated for him, for pain management and other comfort issues. I watched and listened to him die.

The scene was so different from that of my father-in-law. There was no spirit of family, no shared comfort in a time of distress. It was just me, a sleeping mother and a dying father. And the machines.

I tried to talk to God, but there was nothing there, only a stagnancy that defies description. I was not without God presence, but there was no call to pray, no spiritual battle. My father's impregnable fortress of narcissism had held strong. I couldn't even muster a struggle to find sadness. He had made his choice.

My mother awoke just before his end came. As he struggled for breath, panic-stricken she urged him to keep breathing. Before long the time came that I needed to urge her to let him go. He died with his anxious wife and stoic daughter at his bedside.

Now, years later, after typing all this, I see that both deaths are a perfect summation of the lives that preceded them. My father-in-law knew he was far from perfect, but he had done his best to be a loving husband and father. He died surrounded by his imperfect family, doing its best to make it through a difficult time. My father was perfect in his own mind. He'd done all he could to make the world around him serve him. In his death he was surrounded by the anxiety and cold distance he had so well cultivated. The world provided its service to him one last time and then it was finished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog -- it's one of only two I've found that speak of in-laws. I'm not an ACoN, but my dearest husband was. He passed away 4 years ago, and all the Ns have outlived him.
The contrast between 2 deaths truly struck me.
When my DH was dying, my parents cried. My mom was actually praying that God would take her instead because she had raised her children, seen all her grandchildren, and my DH had not. His family kept saying "Gee, mom hasn't cried yet." His mom kept saying "Yeah. Don't know why, but I haven't cried."
When he was dying, my family brought meal after meal after meal. His family jumped at the food that others brought and exclaimed loudly "Well, these sandwiches are great!" and "Pass another piece of pizza."
My family would call and say "We'd like to come see him, see you, see the children. When is a good time?"
His family would say "We ARE coming this weekend and we cannot afford a hotel. We WILL stay at your house."
I've been so blessed. And my DH had his childhood stolen, raised himself, but was so truly loved by my family that I know he believed himself to be blessed.

A year after he passed away my wonderful mom passed away. Before that, as she was dying, she said she saw her parents....and my husband.

Thank you for the blog.

- Sad Widow