Monday, May 12, 2008

All In The Family

OK. I admit it. I am obsessed with this whole Mother's Day thing. It's the lack of understanding. Call it a cultural thing. Or, maybe a God thing.

Over and above the whole Mother's-Day-Thing, there are the news reports.

A woman is attacked by a pelican while swimming -- traveling to be out of town on Mother's Day because being in church on a day dedicated to honoring mothers, so close after her own mother's death would be too hard.

On the evening news, an interview with a man from Picher, Oklahoma describes how he, his wife, daughter and two grandbabies huddled in a closet of their house while a tornado moved the same house 70 feet. From his description, it's clear the value he places on his family, especially the little ones.

I must be from Mars.

4 comments:

Jeannette Altes said...

Why . . . because you do not share the same feelings toward your parents? Or because they did not hold you in the same regard? I think I am from the same planet you are. ;-)

I think we do not feel the 'connection' to our parents like others do because it was never there to begin with and we cannot manufacture something out of thin air.

Cinder Ella said...

It just seems like there's a hole there. Something's missing. It may just be some understanding on my part that's missing. I just don't get why someone would have some sort of special connection to their mother. Maybe it's something I'll never "get".

Jeannette Altes said...

Hmm... The way I have begun to 'get it' is by watching a friend be a mother - the way she genuinely cares about her boys - the way they trust her. Hmm... seeing the way it is supposed to be. If realize that if I had a mother like that, there would be a connection...

Jeannette Altes said...

Oh, and yeas. There is a hole there - where a mother's love should have been...