Thursday, May 29, 2008

What's My Line?

I worked with a man who, along with his wife, had adopted eleven children from the foster care system. Each of the children had his or her own challenges. Some had been abused; some had learning disabilities; some had emotional problems. His wife had professional training in helping special needs children and they felt it was their calling to care for children who so badly needed a loving home. Theirs was a full and active house!

He would occasionally talk about the differences in his children's needs and the need to know how to handle each child individually. One that made a great deal of impact for me was how different children needed different kinds of discipline. For some children, "the look" was enough to communicate to them. For others, words or loss of privileges was needed.

I'd never seen human beings as that unique before. My world had been one-size fits all. With an egotistical, judgemental father, whatever he said was Right. Everything else was Wrong. Period. End of Story.

It's this need to cater to the specific needs of a child that has me puzzled when it comes to calling the way narcissistic parents treat their children abuse. It strikes me that perhaps what would be abusive for one child, is not for another. Yet, this idea of relativism bothers me, too. It's a slippery slope.

I'd like to think somewhere there's a pat answer, one that is reasonably concrete. I fear that I'm wrong.

4 comments:

Jeannette Altes said...

Hmm... just my thoughts today. ;-)

If there is a lack of compassion - empathy, there will be abuse.

Cinder Ella said...

I dunno....is it an absolute that where there is a lack of compassion/empathy, there will be abuse??

Ella

Jeannette Altes said...

Hmm... I don't know if this will help...

"Abuse refers to harmful or injurious treatment of another human being that may include physical, sexual, verbal, psychological/emotional, intellectual, or spiritual maltreatment. Abuse may coexist with neglect, which is defined as failure to meet a dependent person's basic physical and medical needs, emotional deprivation, and/or desertion. Neglect is sometimes described as passive abuse."

Without compassion and/or empathy, there is no recognition of other's rights and needs. Even neglect is abuse. It is the deprivation of what is needed, for whatever reason, and that is abuse. At least that is what I have come to...

Love,
Katherine

Jeannette Altes said...

BTW~

The above quote was taken from Reference.com under 'encyclopedia.'